Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Monday, October 17, 2011

The not so magical school bus

It had to happen eventually. Either getting on the wrong bus, or it breaking down, or something.

Well it happened. Last Friday, I got up at 5:30am so I could make the 6:30 bus to get to San Ramon on time to plan and then teach class. I know the less than ideal teaching situation but with the number of events and festivities that are going on, it was unavoidable.  So I see that the San Ramon bus is no where to be seen and as it gets closer to 6:30 I decide to hop on the bus that goes to Rio Blanco, as it passes by San Ramon and I have taken it before on a Friday morning. I needed to get there so why wait possibly an hour and therefore be an hour late, or just get on the other bus.

So I am riding along, and thought the bus was moving quite fast. So far he hadn't stopped for anyone else to get on. That should have been my first clue, the second clue was that the people who are normally standing in the aisle were given stools to sit upon. So as we got closer to San Ramon and subsquently drive through the town, I run up to the front of the swaying bus and tell the guy I need to get off here. The guy then tells me this is an express bus and they don't stop at all until they reach Rio Blanco a good 4 or 5 hours down the road. Well I start speakign very loudly and very quickly (as the bus had now sped through San Ramon) that I must get off, I am a teacher here, I am not from Nicaragua, I had no idea that it was an express bus, and on top of it all I couldn't pay him the full fair, let alone to get back to Matagalpa. Well nothing stops a bus driver faster than being told you can't pay. So I jumped off the bus and started walking back to San Ramon, luckily it was only about a 5 minute walk back. I felt bad, but I think people shouldn't just assume that everyone knows it is an express bus. And well I learned my lesson, always ask before getting on the bus.

Friday afternoon, classes were cancelled due to the celebration of the Day of Indigenous Resistance. It basically turned out to be a day to celebrate all foods Nica. So here are a few pictures of my students, and the food they prepared. It was all very delicious and very filling as I didn't even need to eat dinner that night!




Out of Uniform Day for the students! Well mostly.

The traditional Gallo Pinto with fried cheese and fried plantains! YUMMY

Posole with Milk, made from corn of course

Tostones, which are fried green platains, and my awesome students of course

Pureed beans with tostones and cheese

The girls and Indio Viejo, which is like a thick corn and meat porridge. its better than it sounds

Explaining to the judges the importance and history of the foods they prepared.

It was all very good. I could go for some more right now. But then again what fried food isn't good?

Well keep making good choices, and take care of yourselves. I love you Aunt B!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to think fast and convince the bus driver to stop, that would have been a long walk back!
    Can't wait to try some of the Nicaraguan foods when we visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried cheese! It doesn't get any better. Did you tell them about fried snickers, twinkies, pickles and green tomatoes? You could put on your own indigenous foods day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me that youre going to keep this up! Its so good and so important. I cant wait to read more from you. I just feel like you know so much and know how to make people listen to what you have to say. This blog is just too cool to be missed. Great stuff, really. Please, PLEASE keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed, I have to say. Really hardly at any time do I experience a site that's the two educative and entertaining, and allow

    me tell you, you might have strike the nail on the head. Your concept is fantastic the issue is anything that not ample men

    and women are speaking intelligently about. I am very joyful that I stumbled across this in my find for anything referring to

    this.
    oakland school bus
    Employee

    shuttle bay area

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serious lover of your blog, a considerable number of your blog posts have reallyhelped me out. Looking towards updates!
    Employee shuttle in walnut creek
    walnut creek school transportation

    ReplyDelete