Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Back to school, Back to school, to prove to dad I'm not a fool...


The school year has officially begun, and I am already running around like a chicken with my head cut off. (Speaking of Chicken’s below I’ll add the picture of a chicken that a man had on his lap on the bus the other day!) I am so glad to be back at my schools and I am excited to see the students are glad to be back as well. It has been an interesting few weeks, lots of highs and a few lows. I am glad to be back at school, but I have been helping with class scheduling, and it has been quite a challenge in all of my schools. One major reason is that the largest high school in Matagalpa is under renovation and so they only accepted about 400 new incoming freshmen and left the other 1600 that would normally be accepted (or some other ridiculous number) to the other much smaller high schools. None of my schools are exempt. So we have been trying to figure out who can give classes and where considering most of my schools have a finite number of classrooms and apparently more classes than rooms. Teachers lounges and libraries have been re-appropriated and yet, there are still some classes that are left without classrooms. Yet another reason I give thanks to the good Lord and my parents for providing me with the education have been lucky enough to receive.

Last week was Valentine’s day and Matagalpa was able to celebrate something extra as well. It was the 150th anniversary of Matagalpa being established as a city. So instead of dates and other valentine’s day fun, most people head out to the main streets and dance the night away near one of the FIVE live music stages that different businesses or the mayor’s office sponsored. My favorite stage was the one with the 80s music and Carlos Santana covers. Unfortunately, because I was afraid of having anything stolen, I didn’t take my camera, and hence have no pictures to show you of the event. But you will just have to trust me that it was a great time, and relatively sober one as well! (I would have thought there would have been massive amounts of drinking, but was pleased to see it was much of a family event as anything else!)

Ok so although the weather in Matagalpa has been fairly cool still, I know that the HOT HOT HOT part of the year is coming up and rather quickly, so I thought it might be smart to ask people for some HOT weather recipes (pasta salads, regular salads, slaws, bean salads, etc.) I am looking for things that are not Mayonaise based (more due to the heat than me not liking the stuff). I am anticipating that when the real hot weather hits, I’m not going to want to spend much time in the kitchen, so please feel free to either post a recipe as a response to the blog, or email me (since most of you know me personally!)
Well that’s it for me! Keep on making good choices, I apparently need to make better ones, my bank account took a hit this month with too many fancy coffee outings! I know that I will do better next month though, schools back in session and I just won’t have the time! Love you all!

Adding creedence to the whole "chicken" bus theory.

1 comment:

  1. Your picture certainly explains why PCV's call the common mode of transportation in Nicaragua "Chicken Buses"!

    I will send you some recipes that do not require cooking via email. Hope this season isn't too hot but glad to see you are thinking ahead and preparing for the heat.

    ReplyDelete