Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Friday, March 29, 2013

I know I know... I dropped the ball... again!

Yes I realize it has been far too long since my last blog post, I wish I could say that I had a great excuse. I mean I have technically been on vacation (as Holy Week is a Nationwide celebration in Nicaragua), but  alas I just have no felt motivated to type up all of the thoughts, feelings, emotions, I have felt over the past month... so following the example of a fellow PCV, I will try to get as much down in the next 15 minutes as possible. And I apologize in advance for the stream of conciousness that will ensue!

3:42 -GO!
So where to begin, I have been struggling with the decision to extend or not to extend for a full year since last December. Did I think I had enough projects to keep me interested, challenged, and growing for an additional 12 months? Is it time that I settled down and started my own little 401k and possibly a family if indeed this wonderful Nica boyfriend of mine is the ONE?!?! Is there an great organization out there that is interested in highering someone like me and all of my ridiculous experience? Is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush? All of these questions of course popped into my head and into the conversations I have been having with friends and family for the past 4 months. and well I decided... I'll do it! I'll stay for.one.more.year. This of course is assuming that Washington and all of its crazy financial problems can scrape together another $220 a month for the next year to fund me... I mean they  can spend millions on a new robot (no offense to my brother-in-law) hopefully they can spend a little on goodwill!

Hugo Chavez has passed away... this has brought many questions and fears to the forefront for many countries around the world, including Nicaragua... Nicaragua received roughly $500,000,000 USD a year from Chavez's Venezuela to subsidize electiricity, teachers salaries, the price of gas, etc. etc. etc. How will his death affect Nicaragua's future... that is a question that only time will answer. But it also raises another question for me... While some may triumph President Chavez as a hero, and others as a villan, I have been contemplating the question... at what point does social help become social hurt? In other words... are the programs that Chavez put into place sustainable? Was it the most effective use of resources? Does it really matter? I have yet to come to a conclusion for any of these questions, but at least I am working on them. That says something right?

Anywho, it is Semana Santa, the most un-santa semana in the entire year in Nicaragua as it is the only complete week most of the country has off to enjoy the summer. Last year there were around 400 drowning deaths during Holy Week, and Lord only knows how many this year. Beer and not knowing how to swim do not mix well if you ask me. And although I was able to steal away for a day to go to the beach and get my sun-burn on, I am happy to sit in my house in Matagalpa and enjoy the cooler weather, read books, bake bread, and just relax while I have the chance. It's back to the grind on Monday and I am more than happy to just take it easy in the meantime. 3:57- DONE

And make good choices! (Unlike me who found out after she got sunburned that the sunblock she was applying religiously every hour while at the beach actually expired last year... dumb dumb dumb)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting comments....hmmm...the ONE? I guess time will tell.
    In another comment I think you meant to say, Is there a great organization out there interested in hiring someone like me... But I think using "highering someone like me" puts an interesting spin on that thought.
    May your third year as a PCV bring you all the wonderful experiences you are hoping it will.

    ReplyDelete