Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

2:00am Waking up in the Morning...


So here I am, in the Reagan National Airport, about to start a 27 month adventure in the Peace Corps. Hotel Check-out at 2am for a 6am flight? Is this for real? Well after waiting for the check-in counter to open up and then waiting over an hour in line while the airline checked us all in, I now understand the reason for the insanely early checkout. So day 1, lesson 1 I guess. It’s 5:20am , so needless to say I am a little tired and this will probably not be the most poetic of posts, but hey at least I am getting it started. So when we arrive in Managua today we will get on another bus and head to Granada for the first 3 days of Orientation, Language Exams, Vaccinations, etc. Then we will be separated (by language abilities) into groups of 3 or 4 and sent to our homestay communities to begin real training on Monday (hopefully at a decent hour). Well they are calling us to board, so I should go. I will try to post as frequently as possible, but since I have no idea how much access I will have to internet, we will see how frequent that is.
Make good choices!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I think I'm your first follower comment! I see a book here in the making: "No Sleep, Hurry, and Wait." We will be following you and wishing you lots and lots of great experiences. Aunt Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll do our best to make good choices but also remember, as Baz Luhrmann says, "wear sunscreen", plus when in Nicaragua, don't forget the bug spray and stay hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope everything is going well. From reading your blog, it sounds like you are having a great time and having some amazing experiences. I love the Friday, Friday title by the way! Keep up the good work, have fun and be safe. Talk to you later. - nick rives

    ReplyDelete