Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Monday, May 23, 2011

You would think that with 60% of the country´s population under 20 years of age this would be easier...

One would think that with 60% of the country´s population under 20 years of age, it would be easy to find 5 or 10 youth who would be interested in participating in a youth group and a business plan competition. WRONG! We looked last week and today really started our offensive to find you to teach. We have gone to classrooms to present our project and were answered with blank stares, cat calls (directed at me thank you very much haha) and some enthusiasm. But we shall see tomorrow if our hard work has paid off. If people actually show up to our meeting, we might be a go, but the real test is when people show up to the second here in Nicaragua. So we shall see what happens. And if our classroom solicitations didn´t work then tomorro we will go house by house looking for kids to participate. What training this is! Hope its not as difficult in my actual site. Only time will tell. Love you all! and make good choices!

3 comments: