Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Creativity Classes are fun!

The most important component of any business is a GREAT idea.

At least that is what we have been working on conveying to my students throughout this week's classes.We have been working on creativity and how you can use it to create a new product out of an old one, or by adding or taking something away you can turn a not so special something into a million Cordoba idea!

My counterpart was out sick but since we had the class planned, I was there, and the students were prepared with their materials, I gave the class anyway. So to explain, the students were told to bring plastic bottles, straws, paper, scissors, tape, glue, whatever they could find, and were told to great a new product or item out of the materials. They had a great time working in their groups and using their imaginations to come up with something new. I was truly impressed with some of the groups. Here are some pictures from the day!

Planning phase

These guys came up with 5 products!


These girls even brought a glue gun!


Team work! Gotta love it!

My students working hard

A puppet!


We had a puppet, a sailboat, a piggy bank, a pencil holder, a cup, and a flower vase with flowers!
I hope to get some more pictures of a different class next week! Stay tuned and make good choices!

2 comments:

  1. Fun project! Looks like the students enjoyed the class, not an easy task with so many students.
    Hope your weekend trip to Managua went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you and your students had a lot of fun! When you can get students excited about the class, magical things can happen! Tell the one group I really liked their flower vase.

    ReplyDelete