Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Nick's Visit and Selva Negra Adventure!!!!

After two weeks of worrying that I would not be able to make it to Managua to pick up my friend Nick for his visit here in Nicaragua (there was a roadblock because of a political protest, which happily went into negotiations and stopped two days before his visit started), I headed down last Saturday to Managua to pick him up at the airport. I took an express bus from Matagalpa, got to the airport, met Nick without a problem, then hopped back on an express bus at the airport. But it was full, so we had to stand, all two hours back to Matagalpa. The really fun part was when we were only about 45 minutes into the journey when our bus got a flat tire! So we stopped for an additional 45 minutes so the driver and a few other guys could change the tire (which looked surprisingly easy on such a large vehicle!) and finally got to Matagalpa later than planned. Go figure!

This week I am trying to give him the Peace Corps in a week experience, so far he has been to the gym with me, the NGO where I work, and tomorrow he will participate in a class planning session and a small business advising session. Today, we headed up to Selva Negra which is a coffee plantation/eco-lodge outside of the city. It was a great time and much cooler than the city these days. We packed a lunch, went hiking, got attacked by the most vicious geese in Nicaragua (well not really attacked but they surrounded us and were eyeing the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches we had packed so they looked fierce), and took the most amazing senior pictures ever. So with no further ado....




















Gotta love it!

Keep making good choices! Love you all!!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you had an awesome time at Selva Negra. Looks like you were having way too much fun! I'm sure you'll take Nick to the wonderful coffee shop in town and see some of the other great sights. Have a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you. are. insane. which means i miss you. and those photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun time with your friend Nick. Selva Negra is a beautiful spot and your photos show it off well. I had a couple purple flowers like the one in the photo one year down here in FL but they have never blossomed again. Continue to enjoy your Peace Corp experience.

    ReplyDelete