Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Tailgating... Nicaragua style

Yesterday, my training town had its big horse parade event of the year, la hipica. It is essentially a big parade of people riding their horses through the main streets of town and then into the central park where there are judges to see who has the best saddle, best horse, best dance, etc. Before the event started, some of us trainees went over to where all the riders and horses were getting ready. Before we knew it we were with the mayor of our town, some of the more prominent riders, and the embassador of Taiwan. Needless to say, their tailgate was a little more upscale, and before we knew it, someone offered us a beer... OLD MILWAUKEE from the USA. How funny is that? I had to think for a moment, where am I? Am I tailgating at a Packers game? no no, I am in Nicaragua. From there we went to visit some other friends nearby and watch the start of the parade. I have video of some of the riders and their horses dancing so if I can figure out how to post it I will.

Oh and Saturday we went to a research farm where we saw lots of fruit trees and learned how to make some products like soap, cough syrup, fudge, chocolate, and dried herbs. Hopefully it will inspire us to make some new products with our youth groups. I am excited to see what everyone comes up with.

Well I need to get going, but I will post some pictures and hopefully video later. Love you all and make good choices!

4 comments:

  1. Did you tell the Mayor you were born in Old Milwaukee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to see the photos! What's the response to the Peruvian election there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS! You have officially been in Nicaragua for exactly four weeks today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying you blog. last night I was very proud to be present at your Dad's Silver Beaver award ceremony!
    Uncle Emmett

    ReplyDelete