Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

McDonalds, Chuck Norris, and Site Announcements

Monday, my training group went to Managua to meet with a prominent Entrepreneurship scholar here in Nicaragua. Our day started as we ran to catch the minivan/microbus we needed to take to get to Managua. After we boarded, they closed the doors and we were off. Not long after, one of my group mates noticed the driver was a little surprised and then started to pump the brakes. It turns out they had gone out on us on a rather hilly and curvy part of our drive. Fortunately, the driver just downshifted on the hills, using the slowing of the engine itself to keep control of the van (it sounds a little more scary than it actually was considering I was sitting in the front seat next to him and I didn’t even notice his distress). So when we arrived at the next town we pulled into the first mechanic shop we saw. And then I saw it. Our savior (or the guy who was going to put on the new brake pad) was wearing a Chuck Norris T-shirt. I laughed the entire 10 minutes we were waiting to have the break pad changed, as we all slowly and jerkingly moved up in the van as it was jacked up on one side to access the brake pads. I laughed when it was lowered again in a very fast and singular drop. Chuck Norris, the international hero. Ha ha.
We then arrived in Managua where our very kind driver, Salvador as I would later learn his name, gave me directions to our final location where we were to meet our new friend Arnulfo (the scholar). We had a wonderful meeting, talked about the entrepreneurial spirit here in Nicaragua, asked some tough questions to help us figure out our research project topic, and had a generally good time. After, since we were in Managua and at least a good 2 hours from our training town between all the travel and walking we had to do, we decided to treat ourselves to a little happy right next door. McDONALD’s. Now I probably eat Mc D’s on road trips in the states and that’s about it, but there is something about the familiar taste of a quarter pounder with cheese that just makes my heart soar. It was so good that it warranted a picture that I will post shortly. The rest of our trip was fairly uneventful except when we were able to wave down a bus heading in our direction we discovered it was the same driver as before, my buddy Salvador, and we all listened to the ever-classic “We Are the World” on our way back home. It was truly a great day.
Then Tuesday, we had a different experience all together. As it commonly happens here in Nicaragua classes were cancelled at the Instituto today (even though we were there yesterday planning for classes this week and no one seemed to mention this fact to us), meaning the youth group session we had worked so hard on was possibly going to be cancelled. But I am happy to report we prevailed and three of our group members showed up to participate. We had a great talk about their lives in 10 years and how they hopefully see themselves in control of their lives, and that their actions have consequences, etc. We had punch and cookies, and I think they were able to take something from it, even though it was such a small group. It ended up great although I think we all learned the importance of flexibility in order to make things work!
And now for the site placement announcement...

I will be in Matagalpa, Matagalpa for the next two year! Book your tickets now!

7 comments:

  1. Your dad has already picked out the hotel. I've checked out the airfare, bus from Managua, and watched the Miss Matagalpa contest on youtube. All set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Matagala is something Uncle Bill takes for stomach distress when I make dinner too late, but if you say it is a town I will look further than under the bathroom sink.

    Remember, the boogie-man checks under the bed for Chuck Norris at night. The guy could probably fix the bus.

    You have a great attitude. Everyone here is blessed to have you.

    Love, Auntie M-E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matagalpa here we come!
    According to Frommer's, The "Pearl of the North" (whatever that means) with hilly streets, clean mountain air and rural charm. Nestled along the Rio Grande de Matagalpa, it's known for fine coffee and cattle. Hmmm, interesting combination!?!
    Can't wait to see you in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know two people think "Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this, I feel fervently about this and I like learning about this subject"? I wouldnt be so suspicious if "Henry" from Punjab didnt say that after you mother's baby monkey comment. Didnt know there was such a thing as blog spam. Then again, maybe Amiya Williams really wants to discuss Chuck Norris and/or Matagalpa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this, I feel fervently about this and I like learning about this subject.

    Hi Mom and Dad! See, I do read Vieve's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still don't know what subject we are discussing but if you tell me I promise I will feel fervently about.

    ReplyDelete