Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Time flies... when you are busy

So this week is not even close to being over as we still have two more days of classes and I am giving my first solo class at the Instituto today, but I thought i might as well give an update since there has been so much going on this week. First think I learned this week is that it is very unlikely I will get Malaria. Woo hoo! and that I can use a Deet product every day and not worry too much, although I am using the natural repellent i brought with me at least 1 day a week.

So I wrote the above part earlier today, let me fill you in on the class I taught and the youth group meetings we had today. Well I am glad to say that I have gotten over my fears of teaching in Spanish in front of 55 Nicaraguan teens. And I also now understand why teachers are always so tough the first couple of classes. I went in and laid it all out for them, the class rules, my credentials and where the door was in case they didn´t want to participate. And amazingly, and our counterpart told us after that the kids acting up was what she was most worried about, the kids were great. I just hope that they can get something out of the class. I would love to see at least one of them start his or her own business. Did I mention that in my third week of training I SOLO taught a class? Amazing. Talk about an ego boost. Sure I let them walk off with their homework, but I was just happy to still be standing and speaking by the end of it all.

Also I got my cell phone yesterday. I will be able to send and receive texts from abroad in both SMS and MMS forms! Woo Hoo its the most advanced cell phone I have had in a gew years and it was still really cheap. I mean it has a 1.3 mega pixel camara that is soooo grainy that a picture looks more like a bunch of pixels than anything else, but still its a step up.

Oh and our youth group meeting went awesome. We were even observed today by Peace Corps staff and we were given top reviews. What a difference I feel from week one to week three. Granted this is not the typical PC training experience, most trainees stay in Spanish classes until the end, but since I am in the Native speakers group (sigh of relief) I am off and running on projects, teaching classes to fellow trainees, and hopefully can get into some research while still in training. We will be given special activities I am told. Wonder what they will be.

Well, I will update more this weekend, we have a class on food preservation (I´m hoping to make some pickles hahaha) and Sunday is the Hipica here. From what I understand its a big festival with cowboys and horses and stuff like that. I wonder if I will feel like I´m in Texas or something. I´ll write more when I have experienced it. Love to you all, and keep making the best choices possible.

3 comments:

  1. WOW, fifty-five students that's more like a lecture hall than a classroom. Keep up the good work. We're all cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is like already having your brown belt in teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up on the blog Viever - what great work! So happy to hear that you are hitting the ground running & already in action in the community. Its great to hear that teaching is going well so far. It must be difficult to just jump right in! So many changes coming your way but it sounds like you are handing them all in stride. Miss you lots & congrats on the great start :)

    ReplyDelete