Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Happy Patron Saint Day!

I went to what I thought was a birthday party yesterday (even took chocolate as a gift), and when I arrived I found out it was actually a feast day for St. Carmen. So everyone in the family who is named Carmen, or has Carmen in their name celebrated yesterday. (I think it’s a great way to celebrate one’s life multiple times a year, I need to look up St. Jenevieve’s Day)

We had lunch (cow’s tongue – which actually tasted good but I was still too freaked out by what it was to really enjoy it) and then cake and empanadas. It rained most of the day but we were able to go visit the park in Diria which is close to my training town in Masaya. I was very impressed; it was even a little Disney-like reminding me of Splash mountain with the fake wood fencing etc. I was a little disappointed though that the watchman for the park told us the swings were just for children. Oh well, I guess that part of my life is truly over.

I only have two more presentations left before wrapping up training so I am dedicating my time to writing reports today to not have as much to do during the week. It’s raining again today so I am not missing out on much. Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. St. Genevieve (yes, with a G) is the patron saint of Paris because she helped stop Attila the Hun (not the nun) from invading. She was born in 422 and her feast is on January 3rd. The life of St. Genevieve was one of great austerity, constant prayer, and works of charity. Sound somewhat familiar? Her feast day is January 3rd so you'll have to wait a while to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought St. Genevieve was famous for it's hotel with the great fried chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cow's tongue isn't bad, I've had it in soup before and i believe mom used to have it growing up. Did you consider that it might be tasting you back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The worse part about cow tongue is watching it cook. When you open the pot it's sticking it's tongue out at you.

    ReplyDelete