Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Matagalpa Site Visit

I am now back in my training town in Masaya, and have a few moments to update you on the rest of my site visit. I had a wonderful time visiting my new home for the next two years, and meeting my counterparts. I will be working in three schools and with one government agency that works with women and economic development. On Wednesday afternoon, the vice-principal of one of my schools called me and invited me to a dinner with her group. I was told by previous volunteers that you should accept any and every invitation so I did. It ended up being a prayer group, and at first reaction I thought they were going to try to convert me to be an evangelical (I was born and raised a Catholic). In reality, it is a women´s fellowship group where they meet once a week to listen to one person´s experience and then say a prayer and that´s it. It was a great way to meet other women in the community and immediately be accepted into a new one. I think when I get back to Matagalpa I might participate more regularly. Its a great way to fill my free time, and meet new people as well.

My homestay family is a small but very loving family. The grandmother Irma makes cakes from her house and my homestay brother, who is twenty eight, and his wife, have beautiful 2 year old daughter. She is incredibly intelligent and can already count to ten and knows her colors and everything. I have my own room, and even have luke warm water to bathe in! No ice cold showers for me! And as I wandered around the supermarkets this week I noticed I can even get Cheddar Cheese in my site! I guess there are perks to being a more experienced volunteer. Haha.

The Counterparts I met this week were very nice and some were very excited to have my help. Others not so much, but the good news is that there will be plenty to do and I know I will be able to come up with several other side projects as well! First on my list will be getting a community bank started at my first school with the teachers!

But alas, now I am back in training and have several projects I need to get done before I will be officially sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer. Hope all are well!
And remember to make good choices!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like 4 star accommodations Nicaraguan style in Matagalpa. Best of luck with the rest of your training, less than three weeks until you go from trainee to official Peace Corps Volunteer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma makes pie...hmmm. How 'bout pie? You could teach Grandma! Abuela's Pies! Idea! Business plan please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're getting your feet wet at your new posting. Must feel good to at least see where you're headed and get a feel for the place. Enjoy your last few weeks of training.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can buy cheese but without Joaquin there to cut it for you what good is it?

    ReplyDelete