Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Granada, Cheesecake, and Matagalpa

Saturday, I went to Granada with some of my fellow trainees and their homestay family. We had a wonderful day, saw the oldest city in Central America (Main land), the oldest Church, and the Lago de Nicaragua. We had a great lunch at a local Comedor, and walked around the city for a few hours. On the bus back, we ran into the artesan we visited last week in San Juan de Oriente. We had a great talk, and it made me realize that Nicaragua is a small place.

Sunday, as we had Monday (the 4th of July fully booked) a bunch of us went to an American restaurant near our training towns to have some good food. I split some Nachos, then had a cheeseburger, followed by REAL cheesecake. I think it was from the cheesecake factory. Really. Although it was bought frozen at Price Club in Managua, but still it was amazing. Plus all of that for about $12USD. I was so full I didnt even eat dinner. I hadn´t been that full in over 2 months. It was painfull and great at the same time ha ha.

And now I am in Matagalpa for my site visit. I am meeting all of my counterparts I will work with for the next two years and hopefully observe a class or two. I met two of them and they are very sweet. I think I will get along very well with them and hopefully have some great friends who can show me around my new city. But today has also been very overwhelming. I did not sleep well last night because of the heat and the general expectation that I was going to visit the city where I have been assigned to live for the next two years. It is very overwhelming when you think about it. But one foot in front of the other, and little by little I will get to know this new city I will call my home. It is located in beautiful mountains, and the climate is somewhat cooler than Managua. My new homestay family seems nice, and I have already met my bosses on the regional level at the Ministry of Education. This week will be full of introductions and trying to figure out what else I need to work on in training to be as best prepared as possible.

I hope everyone had a great fourth of July, and that they went out to play as much golf as they could! Haha. Love you all, and remember to make good choices!

6 comments:

  1. Did they have Cheesecake Factory Buffalo Blasters too? I can't think of anyone who deserved a piece of cheesecake more. Post a picture of your home stay family if they'll let you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW $12 for the entire meal, that's almost what you would pay just for the cheesecake here.
    Glad to hear your time in Matagalpa went well and can't wait to hear more about your adventures. I'm sure this must have been an anxiety filled week for ALL the PCT's! Hang in there. We're all cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeni, I believe I finally figured out how to post a comment. I've sent about six others and never got through. I'm really not that technically challenged. Enjoyed following your blog with all your new adventures. Your sense of humor seems to help carry you through tense and challenging situations. Hope your assignment works for you to challenge you and tap into your talents. Sure it will be an experience you will never forget. I'll keep on following your lastest blogs and hopefully continue to post comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The real question is can your godfather figure out how to post a comment. Although I'm told golf takes up a lot of his time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If at first you cant blog, blog and blog again! Tell us about your new homestay family. Any 18 year olds?

    ReplyDelete