Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Standfast for the Presidential Elections

It has been a bit longer in between posts than normal, but it's because we have been on standfast for the past two weeks, surrounding Nicaragua's Presidential elections. Standfast, for those of you not up with the PC lingo, is when all volunteers in the country are required to stay in the town or city where they live for the duration of the standfast period. That means if you live in Matagalpa, you stay in Matagalpa, or if you live in the campo, you stay in the campo. I am lucky enough to live in a city I love, so really my standfast was not a hardship at all.

So what do you do if you are stuck in the same city for 2 weeks, no chance to leave?

Well I went to the gym a lot, read 3 books, watched countless movies, chatted with my homestay mom, and baked up a storm. Here are some of the delicious dishes I made!

PIZZA!!! Homemade too!

Bread Pudding, can't tell you how big a hit that was!

My homestay niece WOWed by the Pizza (I taught her that!)

Spanish Tortilla!
Well be good and keep making good choices! I love and miss you all!

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I am soooooooo impressed. Maybe after the PC you should go to culinary school. Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, all your dishes looked delicious. You have become quit the cook. Sounds like you used your two weeks wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere, in a land far, far away, small, wide-eyed children are WOW-ing and paying homage to The Vieve. I love it!

    ReplyDelete