Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The National Business Plan competition!

Yesterday the National Business Plan Competition was held at the Holiday Inn in Managua. It was a long day for me as I had to wake up at 5:20am to be on the 6:20am bus to go to Managua. After the 2 hour ride, I had to take a 40 minute taxi ride to the hotel, where luckily they had free coffee. (I admit I have become slightly addicted since moving to a coffee growing region). The competition began with each group exhibiting their products at their tables, followed by the traditional 10 minute presentations where they discussed marketing strategies, costs, etc.

I must say I was very happy to not be a judge since the products were so diverse. One group made flour out of a fruit, another had a coffee flavored beverage, another roofing tiles. Others had hair gel, one had a car battery charger, even a belt that you could velcro different designs to when you wanted to change your look. But in the end, only three groups could win. Unfortunately, I only really remember the top two places. Second place was the flour made out of fruit that adds amazing nutritional value to breads, etc. and the first place was the coffee beverage, that tasted like a virgin white russian. It was delicious!

But the real adventure was the trip back when I bummed a ride from one of the groups heading back north towards Matagalpa. But was we approached, the driver informed us he wanted to take a different route and that he would be dropping me 10km from Matagalpa just as it was getting dark. And to top the whole adventure off, I had to pee like never before in my life! So at the fork in the road where he was going to drop me, there was a small store so the kids ran out with me and begged the owner to let me use their latrine. They were so great and so caring, who cares that I was embarrassed that they all knew I had to pee so badly. I was then able to hop on a bus that was heading towards Matagalpa and made it home safely. It was quite the day! Here are some pictures from the competition (sorry I don't have any from the travel adventure!)

The Second Place Team's table display!

The second place team's display again

Battery charger group. These kids were really smart!




The winning group!

1 comment:

  1. Love all the great pictures. Sounds like there were some really creative students with amazing products.

    ReplyDelete