Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Six months in site! Are you kidding me?

I cannot believe that the end of January officially marks my first 6 months in site. Time has flown by, and although I know I have accomplished quite a bit already, I can't help but think that I should do so much more. Good thing is that I still have 18 months to do that, so there is that, right?

Speaking of doing more, I will be doing 2 Community Bank training workshops in the next two weeks as a cross sectoral effort. This means that I will be working with two different environmental volunteers that live somewhat near me in Matagalpa to start community based savings and loan banks. I could go on for hours about the different methods that you can use to start these banks, but the most important aspect is that it empowers its members to save and loan their own money! No outside funds needed! It really is a great program and I had been looking for different ways to start one or two, and then these opportunities just fell into my lap! So horray! What a gift for my 6th month anniversary!

To celebrate, this past weekend, I went with some fellow volunteers, including one that is leaving in April :( , to a waterfall that is about 30 minutes from the city and we went hiking and swimming! It started to rain as we were leaving, and there were no buses so we had to walk about 3km before we could get a ride and we were soaking wet, but it was a great day! Its nice to get out of the city every once and awhile. Here are some pictures!

We missed our bus stop so we had to walk back a bit... oops!

Walking down to the falls!

Pretty right?

La Casada Blanca


Ryan in the cave behind the falls

Me behind the falls

Sarah and Casi after our swim

Ryan and Mclaine
Me after the invigorating swim, and loving my new Keen Sandals!

The view of the entry point from the road in case you ever want to go yourself!

At lunch after a great day, Mclaine, Me, Ryan, and Casi.
I look forward to another great 18 months in site, and many more great adventures. This week, its community banks, then back to school! Wish me luck and make good choices!

3 comments:

  1. Too bad we didn't know about the falls two weeks ago! Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful sight in Nicaragua! I hope you and the other volunteers continue to have many wonderful experiences over the next 18 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful site to celebrate your six month stay bench mark. Best of luck with the bank start ups. Sounds like a challenging and rewarding experience to be involved in getting set up. I'll have to research Keen sandals. They look comfy and pactical in your photo.

    ReplyDelete