Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Sunday, July 1, 2012

I can't believe it's July 1st already!

I simple can not believe that it is July 1st. Granted my vacation to the US helped take up the majority of the month of June, but still, where has the time all gone? I have so much work to do, and so little time to do it in.

So, let's recap my trip to the states, my return, and review how I felt when I actually got there and when I came back.

I flew into Chicago to visit my best friend from high school. Unfortunately, she was not able to come up to the family cabin, but we did get to spend some time together and that was wonderful. The funny thing is when I arrived at O'Hare's baggage claim, there was a peace corps ad right there! I took it as a sign from God that I needed to take a picture.
Yes, I'm standing on the baggage claim

LBro and JDoe
  The next day, my bro, LBro and I woke up early and headed to Marshall, MI to meet up with my parents and puppy. We had lunch at Taco Bell (the first time in years for me) and then said goodbye to LBro then headed up to the family cabin in the UP with the rest of my family, and Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins. We spent a week up there walking along the beach, shopping at Walmart (cause its one of the few stores around) and eating lots of good american food.

I then headed off to Boston to visit friends from college, attend a friends wedding in Vermont, and eat more great American/Indian/Korean food. It was all so incredible I gained 5 pounds while I was back. Oops.

As it turns out, a lot of my fears about returning to the US were unfounded or never came to light. Everyone was very understanding, curious about my experience, and incredibly supportive and loving. It was incredible to see all of you and get to spend what time we had together. I had such a great time on vacation, that it made coming back that much more difficult. But it's not because I don't like my job, or that I don't love Nicaragua, but it was so nice to get to be myself - in English! - and be with people who have known me for so long, that it was hard to say yet another see you later. But I am happy to be back, trying hard to get my life organized again, and back into the swing of things.

I love you all dearly and had a great time seeing you all. Keep making good choices!


1 comment:

  1. Love the picture with the Peace Corps sign! So happy you were able to return for a couple weeks and the whole family could be together. Best of luck with all your upcoming projects and classes. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete