Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Schools out for the semester!

We are currently on a one week vacation between semesters here in Nicaragua (the school year runs from February to December). As a result, I decided to take advantage of the free time and go visit a fellow volunteer, Matt, and see the famous El Castillo and Rio San Juan.

I took off on a Sunday morning, having to travel to Managua first in order to grab a direct bus to get to San Carlos, Rio San Juan. Luckily, a fellow PCV - Bob was heading back to his site (El Castillo) and we were able to get the last two seats on the bus together! It's always nicer to travel 5 hours on a bus with a buddy.

Bob and I on the bus to San Carlos, Rio San Juan

When we arrived, we saw that the sun had finally peaked through the clouds and it was actually going to be a beautiful sunset, so as soon as we met up with Matt we ran down to the Malecon (the pier) to watch the sun set. It was beautiful and a perfect end to a long day on buses.

Sunset over Rio San Juan and Lake Nicaragua




After the sunset, we headed to the local pizza joint owned by a German. And we have good pizza here in Matagalpa but man, was this good. It might be the best pizza in all of Nicaragua... in San Carlos none the less.

Matt with his pizza and beer
Bob with his pizza, yes he ate it all by himself.



















Monday, we all headed to Bob's site El Castillo which is located about 1.5 hours from San Carlos in a fast boat, or 3 hours in a slow one, down the Rio San Juan (Yes its the name of the department and the river itself). Here is the story of El Castillo in case you are interested: El Castillo


A full boat!

Bob and I had to sit in the back of the boat, but no worries that's where the cool kids sit!



Matt and I on our way to El Castillo

Military shooting the breeze on the river

My two friends I made on the boat, a grandmother and her grandaughter, she gave me a banana and a hug when she left!

The River San Juan

El Castillo from a Distance

A view of the small town from the river with El Castillo on the hill

Downtown El Castillo

Me and the Rapids at El Castillo
We spent the afternoon wandering around the small town and visiting the fort. It was interesting to get to read about the pirate history that has affected Nicaragua and the Carribean. And it's not all like the movies project!



The hotel at El Castillo where we stayed


The famous Castillo

The umbrella was a suggestion by the Nicaraguan taking my picture :)


Me and the boys
Well that's enough for now... more to follow soon. I will try to update with the rest of the weeks adventures on Sunday! Make good choices!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun trip. Glad you were able to do something fun and interesting on your school break. Love the beautiful sunset! Hope you were able to recover from your vacation. Sending lots of love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome river. Question re: history of El Castillo. When Rafaela Herrera shot several shots at the British, did she get shot? Does she have something named after her? Needs to be googled.

    ReplyDelete