Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Monday, August 22, 2011

100 Days in Nicaragua

August 19th marked my 100th day in Nicaragua, and ironically I also had a class of 100+ students that day. If you have never had one of those moments where you go, "what the heck am I doing?" it surely would happen as you look at 100+ teenagers sitting a room waiting for class to begin. In reality I should have had two sections of class that day, meaning each section would have been around 55 students, but due to some unexpected circumstances, mainly the teachers not showing up, I combined my two classes to try to cover more material and have more time for them to work in groups with my help. I wish my camera battery was charged because I would have loved to have taken a picture of this very intimidating site. It also marked my 100th day in Nicaragua, and boy can I say it has been quite the 100 days.

Despite my previous experiences I don´t think I was quite ready for the Peace Corps when I arrived here. I was incredibly homesick, taking some very strong medications that I have since gotten used to (thank goodness) and it was incredibly hot. Plus I was assigned to work in high schools, and although I never admitted it before, I was terrified of teenagers. Not because my own experience had been scarring, but rather everything you hear about bullying and whatnot these days (here I go sounding old)I was just scared. Kids can be inspiring, but they can also just be mean. Luckily, my first class (which I taught by myself because the co-teacher I was assigned to was out sick for 3 weeks) went well, and like those great teachers I had growing up, I used my first impression opportunity to put the fear of God into them. Well not quite but I did make my rules very clear. Only by becoming a teacher myself, did I learn that yes it truly is necessary to be a rule stickler especially at the very beginning. Although I have found that in one of my classes at my permanent placement this technique is not universally implementable.

So on my 100th day in Nicaragua, I was blessed to have 100 great students, some of whom are very interested in the subject matter and those that were just respectfully keeping quiet until class was over. I find that I connect better with the girls (for obvious reasons) and after I finished class, some of them stuck around to get help on their assignment for our next class. It was nice to see some of them taking advantage of the extra time.

Also (pictures to come when I can get my camera charged) but I finally got my room together! This was one fo my goals for month 1. It sounds strange that I needed a whole month, but it takes time to shop around for furniture (the cheapest I can find due to budget restrictions) and then get the cash out of the bank (because not all shops take credit here).

Sunday, I was invited by the vice-principal of my school to a birthday party for her 5 year old niece. We had a great time, although I left with a sugar headache due to the Fanta, ice cream, cake, and candy served at the party. I was invited to come anytime after 2pm so I left my house at 2 to walk over (I didn´t want to be too punctual). It was about a 20 minute walk and of course I was still the first one to arrive. But slowly, one by one the other invitees came (most of whom were 5 or younger and accompanied by adults who may or may not have known each other). Then began the kids run around and go crazy while the adults sit and make awkward conversation until some food item is given to them. (I was the only adult there who did not bring a munchkin but oh well just another random Gringa moment.) Then the kids played some games including pin the nose on Hello Kitty, a dance competition, and then broke the piƱata. The funny thing is that while all of this was going on, I imagined that is was different from an American birthday party. But now that I am typing it up, I realize I haven´t attended a kid´s birthday party in the states for quite some time, and I can imagine that they are pretty similarly awkward in the states too. Sometimes I only see the differences, then later with reflection I realize how similar we really are.

I think that is the best way to sumarize my first 100 days in Nicaragua. The initial shock of something new leads to the instant preception that something is different, and only after more time and starting to feel more comfortable do I realize just how similar we all are. (I also believe this is classic culture shock theory). Well that´s it for me today. I am excited to see what the next 100 days will bring. Keep making good choices and I love you all!

4 comments:

  1. Heck with a 100+ kids you could also start a marching band. Of course with no instruments you could just march but then you'd probably be considered a public demonstration and the local government may not like that. On second thought just stick to teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making it through more than 100 days in the Peace Corps. Quite the milestone! So proud of you for managing a classroom of 100+ teenage students, that would be a challenging sight for even a well seasoned veteran teacher. Best of luck during your next 100 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What were you thinking? Even the nuns in Catholic school only took on 50 at a time. Well that was elementary so guess high school can be doubled. Carry on the cause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost time for school to start in the states. I alway loved fall and the start of a new school year: new notebooks, pencils, markers, etc. The more you teach the more you realize you are only the coach. Learning takes place through the efforts of the learner. I'm sure you will be a great teacher the more you do it.

    ReplyDelete