Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Routines are comforting no matter how many times they change... daily

Only once you have uprooted your life and moved to a completely new country does one understand how comforting daily routines can be, and sometimes how elusive they are to achieve.

For example, since most of my classes are in the afternoons, I decided to join a gym. So far I have been able to go without problems. I get up at 7:15, change, eat my yogurt and granola, then walk the 20 minutes to the gym where I get on a machine for 45 minutes then do weights, or bike for while, then do weights, walk the 20 minutes home again, take a cold shower (to stop me from sweating so much even though in Nicaragua sweat is inevitable) make an early lunch, then head off to class for the afternoon. Last week, foolish me, I thought I had it all worked out, that my counterparts and I had agreed on times to meet to plan for classes, that all was set and I could finally create a routine. As it turns out, I have been able to create a routine, the only problem is it keeps changing. My counterpart had to cancel our planning session today because of a training workshop she was called to at the last minute. And as ironic as it sounds, I think the most routine part of my days here is some part of my day getting changed. I will never get bored at least right?

But it is nice waking up and knowing that I have a purpose, that I have someone who is waiting for me at some point during the day. (Even if they have no idea I am coming.) I was lucky today that I got a surprise visit from one of the other volunteers today (she was in town for a doctor's visit) and we were able to hang out, have lunch, and go to my new favorite coffee shop and take advantage of the wi-fi. It is nice to see other volunteers and be able to stay in touch, however, I have come to notice that I am also ok being by myself. Having a coffee alone 4 months ago would have been something I would have never done... take it to go or something but not sit there alone. But now I an starting to be ok with being alone. (I only need to worry when I start talking aloud to myself I think.)

Update on the 50th Anniversary celebration. In traditional PC fashion we started with an ice-breaker and had presentations, a snack, more presentations, and then lunch, followed by another ice-breaker and 1 more presentation. It was more of a recap of what PC has done in Nicaragua than a party, but it was great to meet all the other volunteers that live here in the department of Matagalpa.

So far this week has been pretty routine, I had class the first three days, planned with one of my teachers today, and will teach 3 classes and plan for 1 more tomorrow. (Fridays are heavy for me) This weekend I will head to a birthday party for a 5 year old little girl (the niece of the vice-principal of one school) and try to finish getting my room organized. Its the small things I guess.

So be good and make good choices. I will continue to do the same. Miss you all!

3 comments:

  1. So isn't talking to a blog a little like talking to yourself? Just kidding! Good to hear you are getting in a groove just be sure it includes calling home and your siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found a gym to join, another advantage of being in a larger city. Hopefully after a while the change of routine will seem normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like being open to the unexpected will serve you well during your stay in Nicaragua! Hope the gym routine works out for you. All is well in MI. We're having a wonderful summer weather wise and activity wise. I'll keep reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete