Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Week one in site complete!

Well week one has flown by, much thanks to my being ill for 3 days, but it is still hard to believe that at some moments the time can seem to crawl by at a others you blink and it's Thursday. I was able to work with two of my counterparts and even help plan for a class this coming week. I must make it a priority to make it to my other two schools though, get to my boss's office (the head of the Ministry of Education for the region) and invite her to the Peace Corps 50th Anniversary lunch this coming Saturday, I need to make a judgement call on my other schools to see if they should participate in this year's National Business plan competition, and present myself to the police. Boy am I glad I was sick this week so at least I am well rested for all the things I need to do this week.

I know that sounds a little harsh, but after all the go go go during training, its hard to get to your final site and not want to run headlong into things. But I keep reminding myself... I have two years to make the teachers I work with the best that they can be in the Entrepreneurship course, that Rome wasn't built in a day, nor was it in two years. I am here to do what I can over the next two years, and I should not kill myself or my health in order to do it. After all, one of the greatest things about Latin life is the pace at which it is lived. This reminds me of a guy I saw walking down the street the other day. He was very white skinned, red-haired, had a backpack his water bottle, and was walk/running down the street. At first I thought he must have been terrified of someone behind him because he was moving so fast, but when I saw him stop to buy some Bunuelos (a sticky fried ball of goodness) I figured he must just be in a hurry. As I continued to walk at a leisurely pace down the street (hey it was hot, I was still getting over from my illness, and I was trying to integrate better into my community), I started to think that if there is anything we all need to learn to do in this world is to just slow down, take it easy on ourselves. After all, some of my greatest memories are things that happened while I was waiting for some other plan to come to fruition.

So it's time for me to sit down, strap-in, and enjoy the next two years of a roller coaster ride. Hands up and screaming at the top of my lungs of course! Love you all and keep making good choices!

1 comment:

  1. Just don't get stuck at the top of the roller coaster like you did at Disney. It might be a longer walk down. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete