Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The best laid plans of mice and men...

Today was the day I was finally going to meet my counterpart in San Ramon. Last week I was sick, so I was not able to be there, but this week I was going to make the 45 minute trip (one way) and meet the Director of the school, get my schedule ironed out, and observe my first class at this school. But it turns out I just wanted to go visit the community and look at the gorgeous views on the trip there and back. I went to the Ministry of Education first, and as luck would have it, the Minister was out, so I will have to stop by tomorrow morning to present myself. Then I went to the school so I could talk to the director and hammer out the details of my schedule for this particular institute. Well as luck would have it, she wasn´t in either, nor was the sub-director. So I set off to find my counterpart teacher. At least she was in her classroom. But then I find out that that class is no longer being given because one of the other teachers is sick and so she had to drop Entrepreneurship and take over the other teacher´s load. So we chatted for a few moments, then I left as she was in the middle of class. I went back to the bus stop, bought a coke light and some peanuts, and hoped on a micro-bus heading back to Matagalpa (another 45 minutes back). But luckily it was a beautiful day and I got seats both times on the way to and back from the town so really, I am not complaining. I still have not been able to spot the Castle of Cocoa on the drive to or from San Ramon, but I will be sure to keep my eyes open. I hear they have amazing brownies and by golly I want to try one.

I will return to San Ramon tomorrow morning to observe a class (si dios quiere/if God wants - which is a common saying here), meet the delegada and then to return to Matagalpa to observe two more classes at my third school. It has been quite the week, but I am happy to say that I had some great planning sessions with some of my teachers and I look forward to seeing what other things come my way.

This weekend is the 50th Anniversary celebration in Matagalpa of the Peace Corps presence world wide. It is amazing to think that 50 years ago President John F. Kennedy was alive and asking the youth of America who was ready to serve abroad. And that there still are people who are willing to take up that challenge. And Holy Cow I am one of them. I still can´t believe that I am in the Peace Corps, you think it would have hit me and sunk in during training, but apparently not. It might not until much later. Who knows, who cares. I am here and that´s what matters. Alrighty, I am rambling, must be the heat, so I will go, but remember to make good choices and that I love you all (even if you aren´t an official follower of my blog ha ha).

6 comments:

  1. All good things come to those who wait. God probably felt the Minister and others were not ready to meet the fireball who we know and love as the Vieve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, your dad is teaching me how to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my real comment! Old folks need a little more practice time :) if you know what I mean! We're having a baby shower for Laura this weekend. She is due Oct 6th. This is good because we are going to Fl after that. We hope you are doing well! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cocoa! Of course they grow cocoa. At my house, "Hey, could you go to down to the corner and bring me back a pint" has a whole new meaning from my parents", and grandparents', generation. Mila comes back with Ben and Jerry's double chocolate fudge. p.s. Entrepeneurship idea! Instead of those frozen fruit bars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love our pictures. Good time with your parents.

    ReplyDelete