Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Happy Nicaraguan Independence Day!

What a week and it is only Wednesday! This is a very special week in Nicaragua as it celebrate three patriotic holidays in the same week! September 12th, which was the discovery of Nicaragua, September 14th, which is the anniversary of the Battle of San Jacinto, and September 15th, which is the independence day of Central America from Spain. (If you want to know a little more check out this website! http://vianica.com/go/specials/5-independence_Nicaragua.html )

So, like tradition dictates, today all of the schools of Matagalpa (and all over Nicaragua) marched in a parade with the honor roll students of each institute, their bands, and dancers. And of course the teachers had to be there to keep everyone in line. So.... I marched with them! I had a great time despite the heat, and I think I was able to show the teachers that I really support them and the students. I took my camera with me so here are some pictures from the day:
All the schools assembling for the beginning of the parade and opening remarks

Dona Mari, her daughter and I

Some of my superstar 4th year students and the school flag

The school Crest

The crest of one of the other schools I teach at

Two of my 5th year students, check out their excellence in academics banners!

Another 5th year student, banging the drum in the band!

Here comes Larreynaga!

They line up so well!

One of my 4th year students leading the dance troupe! They were so good, over a mile danced and in heels no less!

More dancers

Me and some of my stellar students at the end of the parade!
I now look forward to a few days off, planning the teacher training I am giving on the 28th, and getting back into the gym after a few days off because of a cold. Hope everyone is doing well, and making good choices!
Love you all!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the great pictures. Happy to see your hat from Disney World came in handy, looked festive, and gave you a little shade during the four hours of being in the sun. Also hope you wore sunscreen and stayed hydrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to show pride in education and the country plus a way to have fun. Way to support your students too.

    ReplyDelete