Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Proud Moment as Volunteer

Thursday, I went to San Ramon to plan with my Counterpart who teaches the fifth year Entrepreneurship class there. When we first met back in August, she expressed to me that she was not very good at math, was very nervous about teaching anything that had to do with it. Well the 5th year curriculum, especially near the end of the course, is filled with numbers, percentages, and graphs. So she and I sat down, at a beautiful hotel on the top of a hill (picture at the end of this post), and went over the class, step-by-step and did several examples of percentages and how the students were going to analyze their market studies. She said she still felt nervous, but felt better that I would be there to interject if she got lost or if there was a question she couldn't answer.

The next morning we had class and she knocked it out of the park! Every question thrown at her she handled like pro. She even covered how to calculate percentages for the class. I was so excited for her. Overall, I felt like it was a triumph for her and for me; showing her that she could do this, and showing me that my work was finally paying off.

And to top it all off, on the bus home, I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said, "I am an OK lover" I mean how funny was that. If he only knew...

So here are a few pictures I took this week...

The puppy that live across the street with my homestay family sister!

A posed picture, but none the less I am working with some University students on an English project

The ants that are destroying a tree in front of my house every night, they carry huge pieces of leaves back to their nest(?) in a line every night. Its really cool to see, just don't get too close or you might get bit!

View from where I did my planning last Thursday

At the bus station going to my outlying school

View (1) along the journey

View (2) along the journey

As you can see Nicaragua is a beautiful country, and I find that my days when I travel to a community are usually some of my best and busiest! Hope everyone is doing well, keep making good choices!




2 comments:

  1. Chance that she'll remember you forever: 100%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Vieve. Way to have the other teacher's back. Hi Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete