Bienvenidos to my Blog!

Hello Family, Friends, and Curious Readers,

Thanks for stopping in to see what I am up to. This is my first blog, and I hope not to bore you too much with the details of my life. But rather hope to offer you some insights into development work, the highs, the lows, and well the boring.

But before I move away for 27 months, let me give you a little information about myself before I lose a steady internet connection.

So after graduating from Boston College in 2005, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish and "save the world" so I moved to Cusco, Peru. I began by volunteering for The Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco by researching and writing a small business plan for the organization. I continued to work with the organization until February of 2008, when I returned to the US to prepare for my move to Madrid, Spain for 15 months to study an International MBA at IE Business School. And now, after a year of searching for the perfect development job, and taking odd jobs in the meantime, I have joined the Peace Corps and am volunteering again. So wish me luck, and PLEASE someone stop me from volunteering again!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

So little time and so much to share!

It has only been one week since I last posted and I already have a months worth of information to share. Where to begin???


So after nearly peeing in my pants on the way back from the National Competition, the rest of the week went pretty smoothly. I spent last Wednesday relaxing, decorating my homestay family´s Christmas tree with the two little girls I live with, played the Financial Education Game, and hung out on the street corner with some very rambunktious girls and a 1 month old puppy. (Don´t worry pictures to follow!)  Thursday I spent most of the day in bed with a headache (my best guess was I was suffering from caffeine withdrawal since I now drink about  cups of coffee a day and was trying to cut back) and just plain exhaustion from all the travelling. Friday I ran errands, said goodbye to my graduating students at some of my schools, conducted evaluations with my teachers, and set up a meeting with my boss for next week to discuss possible workshops I would like to give next year. Saturday and Sunday we then spent getting ready for my first In-Service Training (IST) which we had in Leon.

Monday, a fellow volunteer, Harry, and I set off for Leon, and after waiting at the bus station for 45 minutes waiting for our bus to show up, someone told us that bus wasn´t running today, so we needed to get on a bus to Esteli, get off in San Isidro, then get on another bus to get to Leon. It was quite a 4 hour trip! Bus we got to drive past rice fields, Sorghum fields, and some Volcanos. We then had our IST for the next two days to learn about different projects people were working on and also how we could all start to work with small businesses while we are on break from school (it´s summer vacation here until February). Leon has a movie theatre so Noelle and I (she also is a PCV from my group) went to see the Arthur Christmas movie in Spanish. Not only did we feel like we were in the North Pole because the A/C was cranked so high but we also had cotton candy that was literally the size of a pillow for only 10 Cordovas (or $0.45). It was a fun time all around and great to see my friends from training, but the best part was that the day we wrapped up the training was also La Purisima, a day to celebrate the Immaculate Conception. More info on the celebration here!  It is somewhat of a combination between Fourth of July (with all the fireworks), Halloween (people go around to different houses to get gifts), and the celebration of Mary the Catholic Church has in May (May Crowning anyone?)

So I stayed with my good Friends Yessica and Carlos, and we walked around town, screamed Quien Causa Tanta Alegria??? (Who causes such happiness?) and people would respond La Concepcion de Maria (The conception of Mary!) Great time overall and we were in the city where they supposedly do it best. However, in tradtional gringo manner, we were silly enough to wait in line to pass by the booths handing out stuff, while the rest of the world jumped in front, so that when we arrived there wasn´t much left. But it was fine, we still got bags of rice, coffee, cookies, matches, pencils and pens, candy, dish soap, soup mix, sugar cane, etc. What an experience, and next year I can´t wait to see it here in Matagalpa!

Ok I think that is enough text, how about some pictures? Remember to keep making good choices, and to live each day to the fullest! I know I am!


Guess who took this picture?



On the way to Leon

Gotta Love Financial Education!










More to come!!!!! Promise!

2 comments:

  1. Quite the week. You've had so many new and interesting experiences in such a short time, hopefully things will continue in a positive manner throughout your service. I also hope you're getting lots of great ideas of things to do during the school break.

    We are all looking forward to our visit in January and have been collecting many wonderful things to bring with us. Can't wait to see you and give you a BIG hug.

    By the way, adorable puppy, who's is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, whose puppy is that? Saw on FB that Eliza just brought her puppie to Costa Rico, so dont be getting any ideas, girl. Oh, but on second thought, you're assignment is getting ideas, so go for it!

    ReplyDelete